Skincare has always been an important part of my life. Growing up my two older sisters and I worked every summer in our dads dermatology office. From pulling charts to dictation and, my favorite, organizing the product closet. Those summers made a big impact on my desire to learn more about the esthetic side of proper skincare. Before I had even graduated high school I was signed up to attend aesthetician school in Scottsdale, Arizona. From there I opened my first business, MD Aesthetics and was able to work under my dads license to offer a more medical approach to facials and chemical peels. Fast forward 18 years (gulp), now beauty brands provide at-home treatments that far surpass what we, the professionals were able to do back then. It’s pretty incredible actually.
So what are my secrets for great skin? Here are my top 7:
1. Protect yourself from the sun! It doesn’t matter where you live, the sun will find you. Even while you drive. UVA and UVB rays are not blocked by your car window. There is no greater protection from sun damage than sunscreen (at least SPF 30) and a hat.
2. Stay hydrated. When you are dehydrated, your skin suffers. Dry skin does not age well. Drink up!
3. Keep cleansing wipes on your nightstand. On nights when I’m already comfortable in bed watching TV or working, the last thing I want to do is get up and wash my face. But sleeping in your make-up is a terrible idea. Keep wipes, even baby wipes close by.
4. One of my favorite skin secrets is to exfoliate! I do this twice a week. Sloughing off the top layer of your skin takes you from dull and dry to bright smooth skin in seconds.
5. In my late 20’s I decided I was ready to add some serums to my skin care routine. Total game changer! My current favorite is the No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Advanced Serum. I’ve been using it both morning and night for 4 weeks and have visibly noticed a change in my skin! It looks more youthful and radiant. Filled with peptides and anti-oxidents this serum is seriously awesome!
6. I naturally have dry skin, so I moisturize like a maniac. During the day I use my No7 Protect and Perfect Intense Advanced Serum plus a tinted SPF moisturizer and then at night I apply a heavier cream on top of my serum. You naturally lose moisture as you age, so it’s really important to add moisture back in the skin topically as well by drinking enough water.
7. Final tip…reevaluate your skin care regimen every few months. What your skin needs in the winter is not always what it needs in the summer. Experiment until you find a combination of products that works best for you.