I love exploring San Francisco with kids. LOVE IT! Here is a list of kid friendly things to do while in San Francisco. So get planning your next family vacation!
1. Pier 39- Pier39 has tons of things to do and see. Take the whole family to the Aquarium by the Bay. Ride the carousel or walk through the mirror maze. But don’t forget to eat the yummy treats and see the sea lions sun bathing off the pier.
2. California Academy of Sciences- The most visited museum in San Francisco is the California Academy of Sciences. It’s one of my personal favorites too. There are several fun activities for both kids and adults. Walk through the four-story rain forest, see a show at the planetarium or watch the fish swim at the large Steinhart Aquarium. You can also step in the earthquake simulator to feel what it’s like to be in an earthquake.
3.Visit the Exploratorium- The Exploratorium is a hands-on, educational museum for kids of all ages. Here you are able to visit hundreds of exhibits where you will learn things such as how electricity works, what causes earthquakes and how important everyday things are made. It’s a great way to spend the day in San Francisco with kids.
4. Ride the Cable Cars- My favorite line is the Powell/Hyde line that runs from Union Square to the western side of Fisherman’s Wharf. It has some of the best views in addition to an amazing ride down one of the steepest streets in the city.
5. Visit the Musee Mechanique- Next to Pier 45 you’ll find this arcade filled with vintage games. It’s free to enter but costs coins to play the game.
6. Go to a Giant’s game- Depending on the time of the year if you are able to you see the Giant’s play… you should! The views from the stadium are amazing the caramel popcorn is to die for!!
7. Visit Muir Woods- Muir Woods is one of my favorite places to visit. It’s amazing seeing the true size of these Redwood trees. It’s also the perfect place for kids. Children under 15 get in free.
8. Hike the Coastal Trail- This trail starts in the Presidio and goes all the way to Ocean Beach. This trail has some of the best photo ops of the Golden Gate Bridge.
9. Walk or ride bikes over the Golden Gate Bridge- Depending on the ages of kids you can walk or ride bikes over the bridge.
10. Watch a movie at the Walt Disney Museum- Most days of the week, the Walt Disney Museum shows one of their classic movies in the Fantasia theater. Call ahead for details and show times but a super fun activity.
11. Chinatown- Visit the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory, its a fun activity to do in Chinatown. Who doesn’t want to make their own fortune cookie?! I also always recommend buying a dragon kite to fly in one of the parks.
12. Whale watching tour- All year long different species of whales migrate through the waters near San Fran. In addition to whales, you’ll see dolphins, sea lions, and turtles.
13.Ghirardelli Square- Enough said. Who doesn’t enjoy ice cream and chocolate?!
14. Visit the Palace of Fine Arts- One of my favorite things to do is grab lunch and have a picnic at the Palace. It’s beautiful and kids love to feed the ducks, swans, and turtles.
15. See the Painted Ladies- Visit Alamo Square park and see the famous Victorian houses featured in Full House. It is one of the prettiest views in the city to see these multi million dollar homes with the city in the background. Plus Your kids can stretch out on the grass and take a rest.
16. Visit Dolores Park- Delores Park just had a major makeover. It’s such a fun park for kids and you can visit Tartine Bakery or get some Bi-Rite ice cream while in the area. Both are usually busy and you’ll wait in line but it’s worth it.
17. Take a walk or drive down Lombard street- The curviest street full of hydrangeas is gorgeous. Don’t miss out on this.
18. Golden Gate Park- Gorgeous park with lots to do including Japanese Tea Gardens, the Conservatory of Flowers, and another great carousel for the kids,
19 Crissy Field- Great place to go for a walk, or people watch. Since its usually breezy its a great place to fly the kite you bought in Chinatown.20. Alcatraz- Everyone loves Alcatraz which means it gets sold out quickly. Book your tickets way in advance if you want to take a tour of the prison.