Today I’m bringing you a Winter Skin Survival Guide. Make sure your skin stays HAPPY while the temperatures are dropping!
I teamed up with another aesthetician. In fact, she goes by THE AESTHETICIAN. Rachel works at Desert Sky Dermatology in Gilbert,AZ. I love her skin care advice. I can’t wait to see her over the holidays for a couple treatments. We decided to bring you a few skin care tips all about the winter months ahead.
As much as we all love busting out our otk boots and putting the bikinis away, the winter months can be brutal on our skin. The cold air strips our skin of its natural moisture and can leave even the oiliest of faces looking flaky. Here are few of Rachel’s tips (@the_aesthetician) to keep your glow going through the colder months.
1. Invest in a good HUMIDIFIER humidifier. An ultra sonic cool mist style humidifier can significantly improve hydration levels in your skin without leaving your room feeling like the rainforest. Living in Arizona I use a humidifier year round and it really does make a difference. I’ve linked the one we use – HUMIDIFIER
2. Add a hyaluronic acid (HA) serum to your skincare regimen. HA is something our skin produces naturally that gives it that plump, hydrated look and helps skin to retain moisture. HA is naturally very unstable and can be useless on the skin if it’s not in the correct formulation. One of my favorites is PCA Skin Hyaluronic Acid Boosting Serum. This miracle liquid boosts your body’s natural ability to produce HA as well as giving it a temporary boost in hydration (bless).
3. Don’t stop exfoliating! Your skin needs exfoliation all year round. Our cell turnover cycle slows down a little every year which can lead to dead skin build up. Exfoliation helps to remove that layer of dead skin and allow our products to really penetrate. I use ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Polish 2-3 times a week to remove build up and keep my skin looking dewy.
4. Get regular facials. The HydraFacial is a great treatment for the dry winter months. This treatment is an updated version of microdermabrasion that cleans, extracts and hydrates the skin. HydraFacial’s patented technology infuses antioxidants, peptides, and hyaluronic acid into the dermal/epidermal junction, which is where all the magic happens in our skin. I recommend my patients have this done every 3-5 weeks depending on skin type.
5. Use hydrating or water masks 1-2 times a week in between your professional treatments. SKIN CEUTICALS PHYTO CORRECTIVE MASK is packed with botanicals and hydrators to instantly soothe irritated winter skin.
6. Try switching from a foaming cleanser to a creamy cleanser. The more your cleanser foams, the more stripping it is. Cream based cleansers like ZO Skin Health Hydrating Cleanser will remove makeup without removing as much of your skin’s natural oils.
7. Last but not least, make sure you are moisturizing TWICE a day. Wake up and cleanse your face. Add a serum and then moisturize!! Super important.
Now that Rachel gave some of her Pro tips, I want to update a few of my favorite finds for the winter months.
1.I have to use my GLO PRO MICRONEEDLING WAND. I discovered this last month and it is changing my skin. It looks and feels more toned. It really helps my skin keep the bright glow we are all after. It keeps the cells turning over and allows products to penetrate deeper. This is always my goal. I don’t want my products to be wasted. This allows products to be used at max potential. I use it every other night right now. My skin gets a little red after I use it. I’m working my way up to every night.
2.This is the GLO PRO MICRONEEDLING WAND. It’s now in rose gold and comes in this limited edition package for the holidays. It’s selling out fast so grab it if you want to see it under your tree!
3.I HAVE to have my EYE GEL PATCHES!!! These are called bright eyes for a reason. I put them on anytime I need extra hydration under my eyes. (which is every single day) Your eyes will look rested, dewy and awake! I give these to friends as gifts all the time. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
If you are like me, you love to try all products. Even DRUGSTORE PRODUCTS. I have found that certain skincare lines at drugstores are just as good (if not better) than expensive department store lines. For example, the REGENERIST LINE is still one of my all time favorites. It really will change your skin. The money and research invested into this skin care line shows in the results. I keep it in my bathroom at all times.
1.FACIAL COCONUT OIL SCRUB –STEP ONE – Slough away dry patches with coconut and grape seed oil. Your skin will feel so soft and this cleanser allows other products to penetrate deeper. It’s yummmmmmmy!!
2.AVEENO POSITIVELY RADIANT IN-SHOWER 60 second CLEANSER– STEP ONE – these new and improved “in shower 60 second cleansers” reveal healthy & fresh skin 4x faster than normal masks. I love keeping this in my shower. It’s a quick fix in the morning when my skin is feeling dry. It instantly adds hydration. I’m always looking for dewy and plump skin.
3.MIRACLE BOOST CONCENTRATE – STEP TWO –Use this concentrate to layer underneath your favorite creams. This will super charge your skincare routine and add an extra boost of hydration. Apply this to your skin right after cleansing. This helps with uneven skin tone and dark spots. You need this little boost during dry months.
4.NO.7 LIFT & LUMINATE (TRIPLE SERUM)– STEP THREE – this is a best of ALLURE beauty product. I wrote about this sister serum HERE. This product definitely lives up to the hype. Apply this under your moisturizer. You’ll watch your skin plump up a little in the right places. It will also help make-up look smooth and glide right on your face.
5.GARNIER ANTIOXIDANT SUPER GEL MOISTURIZER – STEP FOUR– You’re in for a treat with this gel moisturizer. Non greasy and packed with antioxidants. Contains hyaluronic acid which plumps fine lines and wrinkles. Your skin will feel and look hydrated and dewy. Use twice a day. Morning and Night.
6.SHEER ZINC SUNSCREEN LOTION 50 spf – STEP FIVE – 100% zinc oxide UVA & UVB, this sunscreen is one of my new favorites. It glides on your skin and absorbs quickly. Your skin needs non-irritating sunscreen during the winter months. This delivers the zinc oxide in a clear and generous formula.
One bonus product I feel like every woman should know about– Also all fingers point to WATER MASKS right now. Have you tried any you love? I found this HYDRO-THERAPY SLEEP MASK and it is unreal!!! My skin glows and feels so dewy after this. Check it out. It’s Incredible.
Hope this helps!
Jenna & Rachel
Other skin posts you might like!